Wednesday, April 16, 2014



Hands in dirt, sunshine on your head, the smell of fresh herbs in the air, pausing with the bee vibrating on a marigold. 
As I may have mentioned here before, this will be Niall and my's second year gardening with the Peterson Garden Project. Over the last several years, my interest in food gardening has gotten pretty big, but it wasn't always that way.

When I was growing up, my mom loved to garden. She was always encouraging me to go out there with her, but I found it rather dull. I wanted to be inside, with my books, art projects, music, and telephone. I wasn't against the outdoors, I grew up camping and loved to hike and such, but understanding plants sure wasn't my game back then. This seems so crazy to me now, thinking of her sunflowers, twice the size of my face!

As I moved into young adulthood, I found I loved to be outside - the beach, the botanic gardens, etc. - and I always enjoyed cooking and buying fresh, local produce, but actually getting my hands dirty wasn't on my agenda.

In 2003, Niall and I moved to Chicago. In those early years here, exploring the outdoors was something I did casually, here and there.

I don't know when it happened. I think it was all my visits to farmers' markets (one of my absolute favorite things ever) and slowly growing knowledge of urban farming that did it.

When I did my year of service with City Year, my team took our group of Chicago 3rd-5th graders to Angelic Organics, this amazing farm outside of town. It was so very cool to be in an open field with many kids who had never been in such a place. I remember we got to see all their veggies growing, meet some animals, learn about worms and compost, and milk goats.

I think busy, city-life had a big part in this growing interest too. I have found myself increasingly compelled to be outside. It has become crucial to me to be involved with nature - I have found it helps make me feel whole and connected.

 I started badly wanting a garden a few years ago, but last year was when I finally got a chance. In early spring or so, I started doing some volunteering with Growing Power's Iron Street Farm. Hard work, so fun! This place is amazing - something like seven acres in Bronzeville, with hoop houses, goats, bees, worm compost, aquaponics...

Last summer was when I got a little garden of my own. Peterson Garden Project has community gardens all over the north side of Chicago. Niall and I got our plot last year and I was over-the-moon excited! Niall is my helper, but it's definitely my project. I really appreciate having his photography and precision skills around. 
The garden last year was just as fun as I dreamed it would be. I learned a lot and it made summer extra awesome. It was also great to be able to ask my mom a lot of questions (which I continue to do). Of course, she's thrilled about this new hobby of mine. 

Now, round two! Recently, Peterson Garden Project came out with a really cool, Chicago-specific organic food growing guide called Fearless Food Gardening. I can tell already that it's going to be a great big help.
Cassius is also excited about the adventures warmer weather brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment