Sunday, September 28, 2014

Visit to the Okanagan


The Okanagan Valley is this beautiful, peaceful region on the Okanagan Lake in British Columbia- it's a fertile agriculture area of fruit orchards, wineries, and u-pick farms. The Okanagan Lake is home to Ogopogo, Canada's Loch Ness monster. This huge sea serpent has allegedly been spotted periodically, since first being seen in the 19th century by First Nations people. 

Here are a couple of representations of Ogopogo (we weren't lucky enough to catch sight of him):




We stayed on the water in the quaint town of Peachland. We found a farmers market and bought delicious peaches. 


Water sporting is a top activity of the Okanagan. This guy (above) was amazing - he looks like a real superhero. 


Where we stayed, there was a path along the lake (above). I adored it - we walked it together, I sat by it to do my morning meditation, and ran alongside it to greet the day.


We visited Kelowna, the largest city in the Okanagan region. Kelowna means "grizzly bear" in the area's First Nations language. Of course, we found a park with a view (above).


We had a picnic in their central city park by the water (above). 


I discovered Old Meadows, an organic farm in town. Their farm market filled me with inspiration. We bought some swiss chard (above) among other produce.


This was my kind of place. I'm realizing I'm not such a city girl anymore. 

2 comments:

  1. So great! I had never heard of Ogopogo, but I love those monster sightings! I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I love all the beautiful pictures of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! My birthday was fantastic! We spent it at Crater Lake in Oregon and will get to explore the Redwoods of Northern California tomorrow.

      Delete