Thursday, December 25, 2014

Santa Fe

On to Santa Fe!

SAM_4055-1

We breezed through the Turquoise Trail from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. This is a scenic and historic route full of pretty views and artist shops and stops. We drove to the top of one of the Sandia Mountains (above) and hung out in the clouds for a little bit.

SAM_4058-1

When we got to Santa Fe, we stopped at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi. I insisted we take the photograph aboveI love the sentiment, “Love one another constantly.” If I open my heart, I find reminders as to how to live my life everywhere I go.

DSC_0010-1 (2)

This parish has existed since 1610, when Santa Fe was established as a city.

DSC_0025-1 (2)

Though I do not practice any religion, I love visiting places like these for the history, art, and stillness.  

DSC_0034-1 (2) 

We also visited the Loretto Chapel. This chapel is the home of the miraculous staircase (read about it here). It is a gorgeous, small chapel and the spiral staircase inside is interesting to gaze upon. The staircase was created for free by a carpenter who randomly showed up after Sisters had been praying to find a solution to getting to their choir space without a ladder or space-consuming stairwell. This stairway was formed without any nails or visible means of support.

DSC_0095-1 

However, this was my least favorite part of Santa Fe. It felt way too much like a tourist trap to me. There was a charge to get in, it was crowded, and a loud audio recording that filled the whole space. To me, spirituality doesn’t feel anything like that.

I was eager to get back outside immediately. 

DSC_0058-1 (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment