Wednesday, June 11, 2014


The last few days, I've been thinking about this Julia Child quote I've come across a couple times recently: "Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." 
I have been so inspired by people like the head beekeeper at Garfield Park Conservatory, who knows so much about honeybees and plants, is completely engaging with visitors of all ages, and has a great curiosity about the world. I think some of this comes naturally to him, but some of it is the result of his dedicated study. 
I have been thinking about how I have always been someone who dabbles and observes here and there, but doesn't necessarily dive in completely to any one subject. I think part of it has always been fear and a certain laziness, but there's another part that is simply distraction, due to a genuine interest in many things. I have been changing that over the past couple of years. I want to keep nurturing this love of the honeybee - I want to put the work in to build that calm, humble confidence that comes with knowing a subject well and continuing to learn about it on a daily basis. It is wonderful to have something to be passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment