Sunday, March 30, 2014


I finally watched Cloud Atlas. I have been wanting to see it for some time for multiple reasons:

  • It was co-directed by Tom Tykwer (along with Lana and Andy Wachowski). I've always loved Tom Tykwer. Run Lola Run is the film that inspired me to go to film school back when I thought making movies was what I wanted to do. His film Winter Sleepers is one of my very favorites.                                  
  • I've always been a Tom Hanks fan and he is in it, playing many characters.                                                    
  • One of my fondest themes for any piece of art is the idea that we are all connected to each other. This film centers on that. It takes us through many tales in the far past, present, and future with actors playing many roles and the stories all hinting at each other.                                                                        
  • A dear friend of mine worked on this film.     

I have to say, I loved it. It was full of action and heart, all about the impact we each make on the world and each other. I really want to read the book now. 

Here's a line from the novel Cloud Atlas that was repeated throughout the film:  

“Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.”
-David Mitchell

2 comments:

  1. Horray! So glad you like it :-)
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely read the book! The structure is totally different from the movie so it's a unique experience. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete