Monday, March 10, 2014

It was brought to my attention earlier today that I haven't posted for two days. Unacceptable! I started this project on the first of the year, hoping to post every single day. I believe have missed three days altogether now, in this third month. Perhaps that would be a good goal, to not miss more than one day a month. I am back, hopefully to stay for awhile on the daily routine.

It was a lot warmer today - the sun was out in the most beautiful, bright way. Lovely. I went out running yesterday and today. It was good to be back in my running shoes. I haven't been getting much exercise lately - using my tiredness, my busy life, and winter cold as excuses.

I had a friend tell me once that running is total freedom for her. I remember not relating to that at all, but I think I got a hint of that a bit these past couple of days. Running gave me the real sense that my worries about work, fear about the future, and chatter in my head just could just drift away as all that energy got extended through my movements. It was just me and the birds chirping, a tease of spring air on my cheeks, and my steady breath.

I used to hate running. Ever since I can remember, my dad has been a runner. He would encourage me to get out there with him (or without) when I was growing up. I would resist.

Now running with my dad is something I treasure. We make sure to go for a run together every time we visit each other.
My dad is much more of an avid runner than I am. He inspires me to continue running even when we are apart. 
I have found a friend to run with here and I find it so helpful to have a running partner, though over the past couple of days, my jogs have been a nice solo activity to help me clear my head.
I love that all you need is a pair of running shoes and you can go. Get some fresh air, get some exercise, get some energy out there. It can be meditative, it can be really hard, it can be just what you need. I do it in such small doses, but I love that it's in my life nevertheless.

Today I ran through lots of  puddles as all the snow was melting away.

No comments:

Post a Comment